CIF Summer School – Electron Microscopy
Date and Location
May 19-23, 2014
Lectures: Yates 103
Labs: Yates 101 and Chemistry B102
- Cooperative learning of individual techniques through lecture & laboratory instruction.
- Discussion of sample handling, sample preparation, etc for different techniques and sample types
- Exposure and hands-on experience with new state-of-the art instrumentation and technology used routinely in materials analysis, including high resolution scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM) imaging, energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS), precession electron diffraction (PED), tomography and electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD).
- Application highlights keynote lectures by prominent research scientists in the field.
- ‘PICO’ presentations (2-slides/2-minutes) by course participants on course assignment.
Instructors and topics
Dr. Roy Geiss: TEM/STEM, EBSD, EELS
Dr. Pat McCurdy: SEM, EDS and sample prep
Dr. Kim Vanderpool: SEM and TEM sample prep
Dr. Jamie Neilson: Solid-state and materials chemistry, crystallography
Featuring talks and demonstrations by application specialists from sponsoring companies, including JEOL USA Inc. and AppFive.
A detailed course schedule will be posted soon on RamCT. The course will run from Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm, with lectures and hands-on labs in the morning and afternoon. There will be several breaks including a lunch break from 12:15-1:45pm.
Registration is now closed and accepted students have been notified. Please use RAMweb for official course registration in order to receive the 1 course credit. This course will be listed as CHEM 651B.